(Free online tool for checking Section 508 standards and/or the WCAG guidelines)
This is a free tool to provide a web content accessibility validation solution that utilises the service of an online tool called Cynthia Says™ Agent. It is designed to identify errors in your content related to Section 508 standards and/or the WCAG guidelines. The simple, well-designed interface puts accessibility compliant code within the reach of all users, even those with little or no knowledge of Web design.
The Cynthia Says™ portal provides feedback to users in a reporting format that is clear and easy to understand. Accessibility issues are detected within web sites from Web-based applications, dynamic pages, or static HTML pages. Users get an immediate “status” of their Web site accessibility. To find these, Cynthia Says™ utilizes HiSoftware’s AccMonitor Server technology, through which USER Agents (crawlers/scanners) collect individual page or dynamic page accessibility data. This information is then sent to the central server where actual accessibility verification is performed. The output is returned immediately to the user's browser.
This free tool is meant for educational purposes, and is an online test which only validates one page at a time.
Completing this form:
1. Enter your page to test. This is a required field. example http://www.business-in-site.com/
3. If you are testing Just Priority One and are not testing for Priority 2 or 3 We still recommend that you test 2 and 3 for the educational value. If you want to do this but do not want to be told that you fail you can check off the Do not fail for Priority 2 and 3 errors, and simply have the Cynthia Agent warn you versus failing the page!
4. The Alternative Text Quality report is a report that looks at the page for some common authoring tool errors or alt text creation errors. If you select this report you will also get this information included with your results.
5. Include File source on accessibility failures - Select this Option if you want the tested files source listed at the bottom of your report when failures are found.
6. Emulate this Browser - This is specifically important for dynamic content. By Default the Cynthia 1.0 Agent is selected. If your page displays different content for Different Browsers you will want to test for Different Browser User agent Strings. Why use the Emulate this Browser Feature
7. Submit the form by using the [Test your site] Button!
Information on how to use this tool / Notes:
- Remember to be accessible you must complete both these automated tests and the manual test which are indicated on the report!
- This tool tests your page against programmatic test groups for Section 508 or W3C WCAG 1.0 Accessibility Guidelines. Please remember that in addition to these checks there are checks that must be manually performed. These manual tests are listed in your report!
Both Cynthia Says™ Portal & HiSoftware® are trademarks of HiSoftware Inc.